Monday, December 18, 2017

Through the Eyes of a Child

Unless you are my mother, you probably watch and actually like the movie A Christmas Story. It’s become iconic.   Little Ralphie Parker is obsessed with owning a Red Rider BB Gun, but everyone keeps telling him that he will shoot his eye out.  He is on a mission to tell Santa what he wants.  The look of awe and wonder on his face when he snaps out of his daze and remembers what to tell Santa and climbs back up the slide to share his news is priceless.  That look of awe and wonderment on a child’s face is what Christmas is all about. 

For a long time, I had lost that.  Christmas had become a painful memory of what I didn’t have, not what I did have.  The story of Christ’s birth was something I had heard a million times, and even the baby Jesus in the manger was a painful reminder of the child I didn’t have.  The only thing I looked forward to was seeing my family.  Other than that, Christmas had lost the amazement of my childhood.  I stopped decorating and putting up a tree.  There was no reason to decorate, and it became a huge burden and mess I had to clean up any way.  There were no laughter and giggles in my house as presents were opened.  There were no traditions of telling the story of Christ’s birth.  There was no visiting Santa or wrapping presents in the middle of the night.  It was just Richard, me, and Ziggy. 

My how times have changed! But even though life is different for me, there are still many others out there in this world who struggle with the holidays.  It may be for completely different reasons, but the holidays are hard for people who are missing loved ones who have passed away, they are hard for people who have no family, they are hard for people who desperately want children, they are hard for people who are estranged from their family.  Please keep those people in mind as well.  My heart will always ache for the brokenhearted, because I have been there. 

I can safely say that I have gotten my Christmas groove back.  Having a child in your home completely changes Christmas. It was definitely fun the first two times when Madison was an infant and then again when she was one, but this year, at age two, Christmas has taken on a whole new meaning. I get to see it through the eyes of a child. The Christmas story is no longer a story I’ve heard a million times.  I get to retell it to this precious child and watch her face light up as she tells me about Mary, “Juspis”, and the Jesus-Loves-Me baby.  Seeing the awe and wonder on her face when she tells me that it’s Jesus’ birthday and hearing her talk about Santa stir up long, hidden memories and emotions inside of me.

She is so excited this year.  She loves the decorations and helped me put up the tree and decorate it.  She loves to sit in front of the tree and look at it.  She will ask me if we can just sit and watch the tree. The thrill I get in giving her presents and watching her open them is immeasurable.  We sing Christmas songs and play with her plastic nativity scene.  She has put in an order for a yellow car from Santa, even though the past two weeks she has changed it to pink.  I’ve assured her that Santa has already gotten her a yellow car that he searched long and hard for.  Every Christmas gift she opens gives her pure delight.  Madison also loves to give gifts to others.  She was thrilled when I asked her to hand her daddy his present and when she brought her Nana her gift as well. She has brought so much joy to our home. 

I have learned a valuable lesson through Madison. Matthew 18:2-6 states that “Jesus called a little child to him and put the child among them.  Then he said, ‘I tell you that truth, unless you turn from your sins and become like little children, you will never get into the Kingdom of Heaven. And anyone who welcomes a little child like this on my behalf is welcoming me.  But if you cause one of these little ones who trusts in me to fall into sin, it would be better for you to have a large millstone tied around your neck and be drowned in the depths of the sea.’”

Madison readily accepts the miraculous story of Christ’s birth.  There are no questions or doubts.  She readily accepts the story of Santa, never wondering how he and the reindeer can fly or how he fits down the chimney.  She believes it with all of her heart.  That’s what Christ meant when he said we should become like a little child.  We should accept Him and the miraculous story of his birth, death, and resurrection with the childlike faith that I see in Madison.  If we can’t do that, we will never make it to heaven.

He says it again in Mark 10:13-16: “Let the children come to me. Don’t stop them! For the Kingdom of God belongs to those who are like these children.  I tell you the truth, anyone who doesn’t receive the Kingdom of God like a child will never enter it.”
Lord, I pray that the story of your birth never again becomes a story I’ve heard a million times.  I am thankful that you sent me a child to renew my spirit and wonderment. I pray that I approach life through the eyes of a child.   

The greatest gift I’ve ever been given was when Christ died on the cross for me, and the second greatest gift I’ve ever been given is the precious daughter He gave me.  Life is full of joy now.  I am focused on the blessings more than ever.  This day and every day I am reminded of His words in Psalm 113:9: “He gives the childless woman a family, making her a happy mother. Praise the Lord!”
Merry Christmas from the Pierces!



No comments:

Post a Comment